Saturday 5 November 2011

‘Google’s Open Source Android OS Will Free the Wireless Web’

I personally found this case study an interesting read, the article starts off by explaining what Android and Google could and could not do. Eventually leading the readers to July 2005 when Google bought Android. Android concentrated on their software and Applications with the help of Google.

Upon buying Android, Google took this advantage to expend their software and build more cool programs to mobile internet that would be able to draw huge numbers of users. Google’s strategy was to ‘Just get something out there so we can put our services on top.’

With the amount of applications and programs Android has, it is no longer a mobile phone but a computer, perhaps a smaller and more mobile computer with the same functions. Android’s philosophy is ‘being a free, open source of mobile platform’. While reading this case study, I realized that Android stuck closely to their philosophy which is probably one of the reasons they became so successful.

The difference between Apple and Android

Apple
·         Closed device
·         Complete control over content and user
·         Walled garden of apps

Android
·         Open and free platform
·         Open garden of apps
·         No control over platform, content, user
·         300,000 activations per day

Personally, I feel that Google made a brilliant choice to buy Android and use it as a product to expend their service to existing Google users. So now even when users are not on their desktop/laptop they still can access Google through their mobile phones.

The main thing I learned in this subject, Global Network is that right now the Internet rules the world or varies reasons. With that said, with Google’s and Android’s masterpiece they have took up a totally different concept from Apple and is able to do so well.

Apple and Google are both well established companies with both having different brilliant ideas on how to rule the world with their product. However, from my point of view, I would say given a chance to choose. I would definitely choose Android as compared to Apple. Reason being I have more authority over my own phone being able to do what I want with it. Also I think that Apple I more of a “cool” phone for a more attention seeking users proud of carrying an Apple cause of its brand and “coolness.”

This article indirectly thought me that it is important to know your strength and use it as your advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment